Wednesday, January 7, 2009

holiday style

Okay get ready for my all time favourite colour... RED!


I really love making something new to decorate the house for Christmas or to help us countdown to the holidays, plus getting out some favourite things I haven't seen since last year.
The amaryllis was a spur of the moment purchase when it still didn't have any flowers and WOW it turned out to be so beautiful - it lasted right through most of December.

Here, below, is the magnetic calendar I made - I was smitten with this project at Treasury of Memories and HAD to try making one of my own. It's still a work in progress - all of the magnets should have a number on them but I am waiting for some inspiration around what I want to use. I tried a few stamps and chip numbers, but am not sure. I'm just glad I made a thing for each day. If I don't do anything else, it's still funky and totally use-able.

Here is the little 7 gypsies clipboard easel that came pre-painted my favourite cranberry shade of red. All I added was the green paper with the words and I printed out a stack of numbers from 1-30 to count down the days from the end of November til Christmas. I'm afraid I can't take credit for this super simple but attractive idea - I saw something like it at Treasury of Memories in Bellingham.


My BUTTON TREE!! I saw the idea about 2 years ago on 2peas and kept it in the back of my mind until last fall - I mean the fall of 2007 not 2008 - and I started work on it. I gathered buttons and pins, only to run out in about a half hour, with only the top bit of the tree done. Well it went on like this for months, requiring button searches and pin purchases, until I finally finished in November. Good golly, miss molly, that was a long project.
But what I am really proud of is that I did actually finish it and not give up.



I didn't make any of these things below! I just LOVE this big red Advent Calendar from Restoration Hardware. This is its second year in our house. I filled it with little hershey's hugs + kisses for my boys and a little red tag with a green ribbon for each day with the title of a Christmas movie to watch or book to read that day (we have lots of each). I hope we will use it for years to come, but I also know this is a great concept to take to my classroom too (maybe without the chocolates...)
The snow globe has been around since Jonah was a baby and has become one of their favourite things to unpack and display for Christmas. Who knew?
Take the time to photograph your favourite holiday things before you put them away. Think about why you have them and what they mean to you.

No comments: